Thursday, April 28, 2016

Whole30 Post Mortem

I went into this with enthusiasm and hope of losing some weight. I also had/have a serious sweet tooth that I wanted to get under control. I do very well when I have rules and limits, so that part of W30 was very appealing for me. As a vegetarian, I wasn't drawn to all the meat that is recommended. After reading some of the W30 forum posts and finding someone who sustained herself on a vegetarian Paleo diet for about two months, I decided "I can do this!" I got myself as prepared as I could- got to meal planning, having the right food in the house, etc.

The Good
I never felt like I wanted to kill all the things and up until the last week, I was feeling great! I'm not sure I ever felt the "tiger blood" but had lots of energy and was sleeping great.
I did have lots of cravings, but now I have kicked my sugar habit, and I'm not craving sweets at all. I had a spoonful of ice cream, but it didn't taste that good and because of the lactose/dairy, didn't make me feel very good either.
I lost weight - 9lbs, about 5% of BW, and am now at my pre-baby weight which was my biggest hope for this experiment.
I ate lots of vegetables and I tried lots of new recipes - including things I probably wouldn't have tried otherwise - like spaghetti squash. So I'll work on Ebon to try to incorporate some things into a more regular rotation.

The Bad and Ugly
At about day 24 or 25 I started feeling sick after every meal. On day 28, 29, and 30, bowel distress was the routine.
I feel like I'm not enjoying food anymore because of the seemingly constant stomach discomfort I have and as a result I think I'm less fun to be around in general. It's only been a few days since I've been totally off W30, so I need to be patient.
I realize I didn't to W30 "right" as a vegetarian, but I didn't think it would be a big deal. I developed an intolerance for both nuts and eggs. I don't know if the way I was eating caused it or if it was something that would have happened eventually and because of the way I was eating, it happened faster. Who knows? This makes me sad because I really love both. Sometimes I wonder if I would have done better, just eliminating sugar and wheat/gluten from my diet.

Overall, I feel like I achieved the things I most wanted to get out of the W30 experiment, but I also had some bad experiences which I hope will change - I need to have some patience.
I won't do a W30 again, but more power to those who do this multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment