Monday, April 4, 2016

Sarma

Ebon and I got out for a date night after long bouts of illness on both of our parts for several months. We went to Sarma in the eastern part of our fair city of Somerville - it's in the "lowlands" between Winter Hill and Spring Hill. We didn't have a reservation, but thought we might be able to get a spot at the bar, seeing as it was early (6:30pm) on on Sunday. Boy were we wrong! It was super busy with several groups of people waiting to sit at the bar. We put our name on the list with the hosts in case anyone canceled their reservation and started waiting in the bar for seats there. Ebon ordered drinks - beer for him and non-alcoholic drink for me (Buzz Aldrin, the menu said it had Orange, Cinnamon, and Sage). I thought mine was pretty good, not too sweet - hopefully no added sugar. Being newbies, we didn't know that the bar had a separate list for seats there too, so we put our names on that list! Luckily, someone else had cancelled a reservation so we got to eat in the dining room!

I ordered the beets without the goat cheese and the asparagus. Ebon ordered the fava bean pate, potato wedges, and the vegetable frito misto - all of which were not W30 compliant, so I didn't have any of his. My dinner was 90-95% compliant though, the asparagus had an egg that was wrapped? in some phylo spikes, so that was probably not compliant, but I'm pretty sure everything else was. The beets were very good and the "salsa" that was on it was fragrant and spicy, but not hot spicy. The asparagus was OK, the flavors were very interesting but I didn't really taste the black truffles and thought the asparagus was a little too burnt - though it wasn't overcooked. I was pretty full after eating everything though!

Ebon ordered a dessert- frozen yogurt with a chocolate/peanut topping- but didn't like it because the yogurt was too tart and the chocolate was dark/bitter. I had mint tea that was lovely.

Ebon seemed to like his meal, but said it was kind of "fancy" for his taste.
I'm glad we got to go, but not sure we'll go back together. I'd probably go back, but not with the W30 restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment