Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's Fall - Tomato soup and Grilled Cheese

There's something about fall that makes me want to eat soup all the time! So tonight we decided on Tomato soup with grilled cheese.
When I first opened my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook, the recipe for tomato soup called for a can of condensed tomato soup - not exactly what I was looking for. I'm not entirely sure of the edition I have, but I think it's from the 1970s when suggestions about using prepared foods (like canned soup or cake mixes) started creeping into cookbooks. So I took to the internet to find a couple recipes that I worked from. This one from Food Network most resembles what I turned out.
Tomato Soup:
~2 tablespoons olive oil
One small onion chopped
Two garlic cloves chopped
other 1/2 of the celeriac root chopped
1-1/2 carrots, actually it was one big one and one small one :) chopped
5 tomatoes - I probably could have used more of these.
~3-4 cups water
dried basil crushed
salt
pepper
I cooked everything until soft then I blended it smooth and added about 1/2-1 cup of milk to add to the creaminess.

After bringing home almost five pounds of cheese, some grilled cheese was also in order to go along with the tomato soup. They just go along so well together, its hard to not have grilled cheese when you have tomato soup.  Ebon picked up a fresh baguette from the store, so we went less traditional with an open-faced broiled "grilled" cheese.  Growing up, my mom called this a Melted cheese, and it was usually made with Swiss cheese and she threw some spices (paprika and pepper, maybe salt too) on for good measure.
Open-faced grilled cheese:
2x ~5 inches of the baguette cut in half length-wise, so about 10 inches total for 2 halves for two people
sliced cheese - I used regular cheddar cheese that we got when we went apple picking and hot habenero cheddar that we got on Sunday.
put that under the broiler for a few minutes - I always burn things, so I try to keep a watch on it, but I had good success last night.
Except for wishing for a few more tomatoes in the soup, everything tasted great! The Habenero melted cheese was just a bit spicy, but went perfectly with the soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment