Friday, November 9, 2012

Pesto Risotto with Peas

I've been wanting to make risotto for a while, and I finally got the chance last night.  I had no idea what risotto was until about 6 or 7 years ago when my roommate made it for her parents.I thought it looked fairly interesting and mostly easy to make.It wasn't until I happened upon the Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary Edition or at least I think that's the right edition, that another roommate had, that I tried making it myself. Although it takes some time/babysitting in terms of stirring, I like that for the most part, it is a one-dish kind of meal, at least I make it so that it's a complete meal.
Heat up 3-4 cups of water (or stock) in a saucepan. In my case, I used our handy water kettle, very similar to this Cordless Electric Kettle. Using the kettle is an energy-saving tip I learned from Alton Brown on Good Eats. I miss that show!
In a large skillet:
~2 tablespoons olive oil
~1 tablespoon butter
1 large yellow onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic diced
After the onions are soft toast the rice for a little bit.
1 cup arborio rice
Then add the wine
~3/4 cup white wine
As the liquid is absorbed, add water in 1/2cup to 1 cup increments, stirring frequently.
I had some basil cubes I had frozen previously (from my garden), that I added about halfway through to make it a "pesto" flavor.
On the last ladle of water, or just before the rice is done - al dente - I added the peas.
1 cup frozen green peas

It turned out great (pictures would be nice, huh? I get hungry and pictures are the last thing on my mind...)! We had some fresh Italian bread with it.

What are some foods that you discovered late in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment