Saturday, November 3, 2012

Not very exciting weekend - food-wise

This is from last weekend, I'm a little behind - it took me some time to transcribe the recipe.

Friday night we ordered pizza from Pizza Days.
After a gorgeous day working in the garden and another hike to the Middlesex Fells, Saturday we had leftover pizza. I did make pumpkin bars, though. When I was in grade school, we would bring treats to share with our class on our birthdays and I would request these all the time:
Recipe pending
1-1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
16oz pureed pumpkin (2 cups)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Mix ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured jelly roll pan (I used a 9x13 pan) and bake at 350degF for 25-30 min or until a tester in the middle comes out clean (I think it took about 40-50 min in the smaller pan).

Frosting
One 8oz package of reduced fat cream cheese/neufchatel cheese - room temperature
4 tablespoons butter or half a stick of butter - I used unsalted - room temperature
2 cups powdered sifted sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons of milk
cream the cheese and butter together, then add in the sugar and vanilla, blend until smooth.
This frosting is a bit on the runny side, so the milk might not be necessary.

Sunday I had pizza again at a rugby "social" in Newport, RI before it started raining and blowing and Ebon ate leftover Chinese.

Way too much pizza for my own good, but I did get a lot done in the garden and was able to salvage some green tomatoes and some basil is still going at one garden. I also transplanted one rhubarb plant and there were some stalks left. I'll try using all of them, but I'm not sure how it will all turn out.

I also made some hot chocolate and Ebon made a special treat - "hard rice." Also known as 누룽지 or "noo-roong-ji".

I found a good tutorial at this blog, but we don't soak it. Basically it's pan-toasted cooked rice. It's kind of like Korean popcorn only with a "ricey" taste!

 What are your favorite fall treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment