Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Spaghetti Pie

While making the pasta for the Zucchini and Mushroom Saute, I accidentally poured the entire one pound box into the cooking water. I ended up with A. LOT. of pasta!
The first thing that popped into my head to use it up was a spaghetti pie. One of my friends from college made a really good pasta pie with ricotta and spinach. Since a couple people over here are averse to green food, I've decided to opt for a more traditional (if spaghetti pie is traditional Italian) cheese and red sauce spaghetti pie. I couldn't find an existing recipe that fit everything I wanted - cheesy, tomato-saucy, and without meat, so I guess I'll say I was inspired by the SK/Food and Wine recipe and added some red sauce to it.
A little less than one pound of pasta (whatever was leftover from the previous night) that I had added some olive oil to so it wouldn't all stick together in the fridge overnight.
Three eggs
A little less than one cup of milk
Salt and Pepper eyeballed to be as close to the recipe amounts as possible
about a cup each of shredded cheddar and Parmesan
about a half cup of red sauce
All the above ingredients were mixed together and poured in my 10" spring form pan. Then I spread another 1-1.5 cups of red sauce on top.

I prepared everything the night before and baked it the next day after sprinkling on more Parmesan cheese at 425degF for about 40 min and broiling the cheese on low for about 3-5 min for a nice crust.

I was hopeful for the leftover rescue dish, but it didn't turn out as planned. It was very watery, maybe from the sauce? It didn't really stick together either. It was less pie and more spaghetti in a pie plate. In terms of flavors, it was OK. It didn't seem like there was enough salt or pepper and the cheese didn't get mixed well into the noodles either. This is a no go for the future, but maybe I'll try a smaller version with a lot less liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment