Thursday, June 27, 2013

Caprese Melted Sandwich

It's been hot here lately and I have not wanted to turn on the oven to do any sort of cooking or baking. So all of my dinner ideas this week have involved the smaller toaster oven, frying pan or broiler. Earlier this week I reheated lasagna I made over the weekend. We had quesadillas (black bean with salsa and cheese, though I should have added some corn from the freezer) on Tuesday and last night after I picked up our CSA veggies and got a haircut, I made an open-faced melted Caprese sandwich. I thought it turned out great.
Ebon bought a baguette that we needed to use up before it got too hard to chew, so I went to the garden and picked some basil for the pesto. I also picked up a roma tomato and some fresh mozzarella from the store.
I made the pesto with garlic scapes (about 4) that I cut from the garlic growing in the garden, the basil - probably about 1/4 cup packed not exactly sure about the amount, and some olive oil. I put it all in the blender, once it was all smooth I added about a 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
I cut about 2/3 or 3/4 of the baguette in half length-wise and spread the pesto onto each half. Then I sliced the tomato very thinly and put that on top of the pesto. Then I sliced the fresh mozzarella balls as thin as I could, which ended up about 1/4" thick and added it on top of the tomatoes.
I stuck it under a medium broiler for about 5-10 min, enough to heat up all the ingredients and start melting the cheese a bit.

Lovely low-heat (relatively) dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment