Friday, July 26, 2013

Double Whammy

I got our entire CSA share because our share partners are out of town this week. I have to figure out how to use up A LOT of veggies this week. Fennel was in the share, as were potatoes. Ebon suggested a potato gratin. So I googled potatoes and fennel and got this: Potato Fennel Gratin
The only substitution I made was plain low-fat yogurt for the half-and-half.
I thought the flavors turned out excellent. However, Ebon was not a fan of the fennel at all and he thought there should have been more cheese (I thought it was quite cheesy enough). I must admit the fennel was a bit on the crisp side, so if I tried to make this again, I'd probably saute or roast the fennel, so it would have a bit more flavor and a softer texture. Unfortunately, I won't be trying this again...

I needed something else to go with the gratin, and one of other the recipes I pulled up said "serve this with a bowl of minnestrone or black bean soup..." so I went with the Black Bean Soup.
I didn't have bell pepper, so I used some carrots I pulled up from my garden earlier this week.  I also added 1/2 a jalapeno to give it a bit of a kick, though I couldn't really taste it, so I added the other half to the leftovers that I froze for later. I thought it turned out pretty good. I did have to add a bit more salt and pepper at the end, and it could have maybe used another herb of some sort, but I didn't know what to add and ended up nixing the idea. Again, Ebon ate this, but probably did it out of pity.

Next up - some sort of recipes to use up the fennel fronds and the radicchio. I did find something for fennel pesto - interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment