Monday, June 3, 2013

Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew

For dinner tonight, we're trying something new. I was browsing Pintrest or the food blogs I follow and found an interesting recipe using cauliflower, so I picked some up at the store.  Unfortunately, I couldn't remember what recipe I got it for and I couldn't seem to find it, so I searched for a new cauliflower recipe.  I found this: Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew. I had all the ingredients and it looked easy enough.
I started some brown rice in our new fancy rice cooker since it takes more than an hour for it to cook, then I started on the recipe.
My variations - I used a curry powder I had on hand (about 2-3 tablespoons) and I added some additional spices - cumin, mustard seed, coriander, and tumeric. I used 4 roma tomatoes and 1/2 a can of green chilies instead of the canned tomatoes. I didn't have any cilantro, and I love cilantro, so that was lacking slightly. I also added salt, I can't believe that salt isn't in the recipe.
I thought it turned out pretty well. The flavors were a bit muted when combined with rice, so maybe some more spices were in order. I did like the combination of the cauliflower and chickpeas, though. Ebon didn't like it - I didn't know he didn't like chickpeas in dishes, so I probably won't be making it again. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment