Friday, July 25, 2014

Lentil, Potato and Chard stew

We have had an abundant CSA share this week, so I'm scrambling to cook everything before it goes bad. Last night I made Lentil, Potato and Chard stew based on THIS recipe I found on epicurious.com
I added and subtracted items as I had things on hand, for me the ingredient list looked more like this:
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 8 garlic scapes, chopped
  • 1/2 medium Ailsa Craig onion with green parts, roughly chopped
  • 3 cups water with 2 heaping teaspoons of Korean "bullion"
  • 1 cup lentils, rinsed, picked over
  • 3 "small" red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 a large bunch of chard, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
I also added a bit of water at the end for the desired consistency. I thought it turned out great and I'm really glad I added the cumin, I think that added the right spice punch. And we got to use up onion, potato and chard from the share. On to Cabbage - so much to use up!

No comments:

Post a Comment