Monday, July 14, 2014

Beet and Arugula Salad with Baked Tempeh

I'm trying to go through the veggies I got in our CSA share before we get the next one. The veggies are all wonderful, but it's a weekly struggle to figure out what to make. Earlier this week, I used the kale in a smoothie. It was the Tuscan kale, and I realized I really prefer that in sautes or in the greens gratin. It is a little too stringy/hearty for smoothies - or I need to remove the ribs/stem.
Anyway, on to tonight's meal. Overall, it took a bit longer than I expected. I decided that we needed a beet and arugula salad with beets from the CSA and arugula from the garden. I popped both red and golden beets in the oven to roast at 450degF before I walked to the garden with Leela on my back and Spartacus on leash. The arugula was going a bit crazy and most if it has started to bolt, to heck with it, I still used it. I also picked one head of lettuce, as it was ready and I knew that Ebon wasn't too keen on an entire salad with arugula - "too bitter" he says.
I got back and the largest beet still wasn't done, so I decided to make candied walnuts. The recipe I found online was pretty easy.
I did some more searching and based my salad recipe loosely on Giada's Beet and Goat Cheese Arugula salad. Of course, I made some changes based on our serving size and what was on hand.
I skipped the shallots and just went with red wine vinegar and olive oil for the dressing, which I only used about half of. I used about 2 cups of lettuce torn and about 2 cups of arugula torn, stems from the leggy almost-bolted leaves removed. I threw in a handful or about 1/4 cup of the candied walnuts and skipped the dried cranberries. I tossed the lettuce mix with the dressing, walnuts and then added the beets, which I peeled and chopped, and the goat cheese (I used an herbed version).
Also while waiting for the beets to finish, I used a fork to poke holes in a block of tempeh and marinated it with soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. I stuck it in the oven with the beets for about 20-25 min.

When everything was finally done around 8pm, we all ate with gusto. I thought everything turned out great, but I would definitely try to do a bunch of the steps before hand, so I could just toss things together in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment