Saturday, July 26, 2014

Ja Jang Myun

Last night I made Ja Jang Myun aka Korean Noodles with Black Bean Sauce. The closest recipe to what I used that I could find online is from Beyond Kimchee. I use a recipe I printed out, so I'm unsure of the source.
In any case, since we're vegetarian, we forego the meat and do not opt for the oyster sauce. Also, Ebon doesn't like the chunky vegetables as much, so I try to pare those down as well - but I like them so usually there are more than he likes anyway.
I purchase my black bean paste or jajang [I've also seen chun(choon?)jang] and fresh noodles  at the Korean market, either Reliable Market in Union Square or H Mart.
I've initially followed the recipe - frying the bean paste, but I have an issue with the residue it leave in the pan, and then I feel like it burns the potatoes etc. So now, I saute the veggies first, then I fry the black bean paste with the sugar, then add in the soft veggies, then the water and cornstarch mix.
While this is going on, the water is boiling and noodles cooking.
The noodles go in big bowls then the sauce gets spooned on top of that. I've garnished it with some green onions if you want to be fancy. The dish is usually served with pickled radish (daikon?)- the yellow pickles that are fairly sweet.
Yum! Ebon seems to prefer the store-bought version because I put too many veggies in mine. He'll deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment