Monday, June 30, 2014

Long Overdue Strawberry Shortcake

Last weekend we went strawberry picking and at the 11th hour (almost literally) of this weekend, I finally got around to making a strawberry shortcake with all the strawberries that we picked.
Red Fire Farm has an annual Strawberry Soiree, where they have strawberry varietal tasting and strawberry shortcake and chocolate covered strawberries for sale in addition to picking our yearly allotment of strawberries for our CSA share.
I was a bit disappointed in the strawberry shortcake at the farm, it tasted more like a biscuit - more salty than sweet- and it was harder/crunchier than I like.
In our Food and Wine recipe pull, there was a recipe for Strawberry shortcake. In all my procrastination glory, I decided to make it starting at 9pm on Sunday night. Overall it wasn't too involved, but required some planning ahead. For example, the strawberries were supposed to macerate in the sugar for ~3 hours. It ended up being more like 1 hour, but there was enough juice for it it to work.

1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened (I used Ben and Jerry's- it was on sale)
3 cups self-rising flour - I used the King Arthur conversion of 1 cup AP flour, 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks of cold unsalted butter cut in chunks

1 quart hulled and sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar

1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon honey (I used sugar)


  1. Preheat oven to 450degF
  2. Soften the ice cream in the fridge or on the counter and pour into a large bowl.
  3. Pulse the flour (mixture) and butter in a food processor until you have a course meal. I had to do this in two lots because my food processor isn't big enough for 3 cups of flour.
  4. Pour the flour-butter mixture in with the ice cream and mix until combined.
  5. Knead the dough with your hands until everything has come together.
  6. Spread the dough out evenly in a 9x13 pan and bake for about 20 min or until golden brown.
  7. Combine the strawberries and sugar in a med bowl to macerate for about 3 hours (mine were mixing for about 1 and it tasted OK).
  8. Make whipped cream with the cream and sweetener.
  9. Cut the shortcake into 12 squares and serve with Strawberries and whipped cream.
Yum, it was delicious! The shortcake was soft, moist, and just sweet enough. I think this was my first successful try at making whipped cream with my stand mixer. It was amazing and so easy!

I did try eating the shortcake without the accouterments. I wouldn't recommend it as a dessert on it's own.


No comments:

Post a Comment