Sunday, June 1, 2014

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Cassarole

As always, I was struggling with what to make for dinner. I was in the mood for beans. I had black beans, kidney beans and white beans in the freezer. Black beans won out and a little Internet searching lead me to a recipe for a pumpkin and black bean casserole, so I used that as inspiration. I had sweet potatoes on hand, so that replaced the pumpkin and I pulled other stuff out of my freezer to add in.

2 cups black beans
One 28oz can of chopped tomatoes with the juice
5 cloves of garlic chopped small
6 green onions, white and green parts separated
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
black pepper to taste
1 red pepper roasted
one sweet potato sliced thinly (~1/8")
4-8 oz shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 425degF. Combine the beans, tomatoes, garlic, white parts of the green onion, corn, spices, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix.
Spray a 9" x 13" pan with oil or non-stick spray. Pour half of the bean mixture in the pan, spread half of the sweet potatoes in one layer. Layer on half of the cheese. Then follow with the remaining bean mixture, the roasted red pepper, and finish with a single layer of the rest of the sweet potato. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover, spread the remaining amount of cheese on top and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the liquid has thickened and the cheese is golden brown.
Sprinkle the green parts of the green onion over the casserole.

I was very happy how it turned out. The flavors melded well. The only thing I would change is to chop up the red pepper and combine with the bean ingredients. Ebon seemed to like it well enough. He ate it with some corn tortilla chips. I will try to make it again if I have all the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment