Thursday, June 12, 2014

Provoleta

We get Food and Wine magazine every month due to some glitch or because Ebon likes to spend points or miles on magazines or something like that. In any case, I enjoy looking through it and Ebon and I have been in the habit of bookmarking the various recipes we want to try out. The recipe for Provoleta with Oregano and Tomatoes stood out for Ebon because it involved bread and cheese - his favorites!
I've made it a couple times so far.
The first I got the cheese from Sessa's in Davis square and got the Supremo Italiano brand provolone cheese. We didn't have the grape tomatoes and I excluded the crushed red pepper so Leela could eat it too - she hasn't mastered spicy food yet. I followed the recipe otherwise.
It turned out great - burnt and melty cheese tastes so good.
The second time, I had run out of oregano, so I used a bit of marjoram and paprika. I used Bel Gioioso Picante provolone, it was much greasier and tasted saltier than the first go round. Maybe it was aged a bit too long- the note in the recipe says a sharp cheese that is 8-9 months old is best. I think the Supremo Italiano is a little younger, so maybe we just like the young cheese better. I had the tomatoes on the 2nd try and they are a must.
In any case we ate both with a baguette or crusty bread.
I think this is meant to be an appetizer, but we've eaten the whole thing between the two(three with Leela/four with Sparty?) of us as a meal. This will go into our regular "quick meal" repertoire!

No comments:

Post a Comment