Saturday, August 3, 2013

Spicy Kohlrabi Stew with Tomatoes

I've had some kohlrabi from our CSA share sitting in my fridge for too long. So long in fact that some of it went bad, but I needed to use up the good parts, so I surfed the interwebs for recipes. I didn't really find anything too good until I came across this recipe. There wasn't a picture that I could pin to my YUM Pintrest Board, so I decided to find the cookbook at the library. I requested it and a few days later I had Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World in my hands.  It took me another few days before I actually looked at the cookbook, but it is very thorough in terms of vegetables, grains, dairy, etc. Pretty much anything vegetarian that you want to cook, you will probably be able to find it.  I might just have to buy this cookbook to have in my arsenal.

Getting to the actual food... Although I had most of the ingredients for the original recipe I found, I opted to make the Spicy Kohlrabi Stew with Tomatoes.

2 pounds kohlrabi heads cut in ~1/4" dice
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
generous pinch of ground asafetida (I didn't have this and opted for garlic powder instead)
1-4 dried hot red chilies - to desired heat (again I opted for ~1/2 teaspoon crushed red chilies/peppers)
5 medium tomatoes peels and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar (if the tomatoes are sour)
Put the oil in a medium pan and set over med-high heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. A second later, put in the asafetida and the red chilies. Stir briefly until the chilies turn dark, a matter of seconds. Now put in the kohlrabi. Stir once or twice and quickly put in the tomatoes, turmeric, 3/4 cup water, salt, and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and simmer very gently for 30-35 min, or until the kohlrabi is tender.

I also cooked up some brown lentils to which I added, ground cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. This was all served with rice.

I thought this turned out well. Some of the kohlrabi just didn't cook right because it was so big/tough, but the flavors turned out pretty good and the heat was just right. The tomatoes came from my garden and from the CSA share - another reason to use this recipe!
Ebon seemed to like it well enough, so I would make this again if I had an abundance of kohlrabi and tomatoes.  Now go buy that cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment