Monday, August 5, 2013

Vegetarian BBQ dinner

While we're still waiting around for the arrival of our little one, I decided to grill up a dinner for us this evening. The CSA is in abundance at the moment, so I'm trying to prepare food that uses the vegetables we get to the maximum! Tonight was no exception, the corn, radicchio, onions, potatoes, and dill all came from the share!

On to our menu:

  • Grilled Corn - As per my usual, I like to grill the corn in their husk, so it more or less steams inside. As usual it turned out great, if I do say so myself. I had pinned a recipe for Siracha Street corn recently and thought, now was as good of a time as any to try it out. It turns out I'm not really a fan. While I really like spicy and Siracha sauce, I'm more of a sweet corn purist - I like to taste the flavor of the corn.
  • Grilled Radicchio - I'm never quite sure what to do with radicchio, but I had seen several recipes for the grilled variety in past internet searches, so I thought I would try it tonight. The only thing I left out from the recipe was the orange peel, as I didn't have any; also I used Parmesan cheese instead of Romano. I didn't really miss the orange, though I probably could have grilled/cooked the quarters a bit longer. Overall I thought all the flavors were excellent - the radicchio was a little bitter, which was cut by the spicy balsamic marinade.
  • Baked beans - well these came out of a can and were prepared on the stove, but I thought they went well with everything, and Ebon likes them :)
  • Veggie Italian sausages and grilled onions - I like the Tofurkey brand and the onions were sprayed with olive oil and cooked on top of a foil sheet on the grill - Yum for carmelization.
  • Potato Salad - I didn't really have a recipe, I just kind of threw some things together. I boiled some new potatoes - either cut in half or whole depending on their size. When they were tender, I stopped cooking, drained and let them cool for about 20 min (this is where I was doing the preparations of other things above). When they were cool, I cut them into bite-sized chunks. The dressing was a dip that I prepared a few days earlier - 
~1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
~2 tablespoons fresh dill
~1 teaspoon salt
~1/2 teaspoon pepper
~1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
couple pinches of sugar
I mixed the dressing portion together and poured over the potato chunks and mixed everything to coat.

This was a very filling meal, and it would have been much better to have more than just two people to help eat this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment