Friday, March 8, 2013

Chilaquiles

Again, my favorite cookbook, Quick Vegetarian Pleasures to the rescue for our Sunday night meal.


Chilaquiles, as far as I understand from the cookbook and what I've had in restaurants they are kind of like a Mexican Lasagna or casserole. Also, typically they are made using up on-hand ingredients before they go bad. That's what I did when I made them on Sunday.
I'm in the process of trying to clear out stuff that has been in our freezer for quite some time - the pumpkin from the Pumpkin Mac and Cheese was from the fall and just needed to get used. In the chilaquiles, I used up some hot peppers, beans, corn tortillas, 1/2 package of Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo and some fresh tomatoes that I got on reduced sale that were destined for the freezer or needed to be used immediately.

Olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, diced
the recipe calls for a large can of diced tomatoes, but I used the reduced-sale Roma tomatoes, probably about 2 lbs worth or so
2 cups of cooked beans, I used black beans and white kidney beans, the recipe calls for a 15oz can of kidney beans
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1-2 hot peppers, again the recipe calls for canned diced green chilies
1/2 package of Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo (not in the original recipe)
12 corn tortillas
~2 cups or 8oz of shredded cheese, the recipe calls for Monterrey jack, but I used cheddar
1 cup of sour cream

In a hot large skillet over medium heat, add ~2 tablespoons of oil and fry the onions and garlic until soft, ~5-10 min. Then add the tomatoes, peppers and chorizo. Simmer until thickened.

In a 9" x 13" pan spread about 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the pan, top with 1/2 the tortillas, 1/2 the sour cream, 1/2 of the cheese, and the second 1/3 of sauce. Top that with the remaining tortillas, sour cream, sauce and finish with the rest of the cheese.
Bake at 350degF for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

I'm not sure if it was the chorizo or the hot peppers, but it came out slightly spicy, but very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment