Monday, June 25, 2018

Instant Pot Dal Makhani

Since moving to a place with no Indian food restaurant, I have vowed to make more of it on my own. This attempt at Dal Makhani was my first foray since moving. I've tried to make channa masala before too, but haven't found the right recipe, I think.
The "Butter Chicken Lady" has a great recipe, see it here.

I thought it was good, but I think I used a little too much salt and yogurt. I also omitted the cayenne pepper, save my modifications, I will definitely make this again. The kids even liked it! I served this with garlic naan from Trader Joe's, rice, and roasted broccoli.

Ingredients

Boil Together

Mix Together

  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (or drained soy yogurt)
  • 1/2 cup half and half, cream, or alternative milk of your choice, or cashew paste
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon Punjabi garam masala (see recipe below) or ordinary garam masala

For Finishing

Instructions

  1. Wash the dal well, add ginger, garlic, bay leaves and water, and cook in an Instant Pot for 30 minutes using natural release.
  2. Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, milk/cream of choice, and the listed spices and blend these well together.
  3. When the dal is ready, open up the Instant Pot and using the back of a spoon, gently mash in some of the dal to make a thicker dal, leaving most of the dal intact.
  4. Turn your Instant Pot onto its Keep Warm Setting, adding a little water if needed.
  5. Heat a small saucepan or kadhai, add ghee when hot, and add in the cumin seeds which will start to sputter.
  6. Put in the tomato paste and cook it for a while, until it absorbs all of the ghee.
  7. Pour this paste into the dal and mix well.
  8. Pour in your yogurt mixture and mix well, garnish with chopped cilantro if desired, and serve with naan, chappatis, or rice, or eat plain by the spoonful, which is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment