Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Kohlrabi Carrot Fritters

I had a CSA kohlrabi bulb to use and I didn't want to eat them raw in a salad.
I found this fritter recipe to use. I didn't make the dipping sauce because I didn't have the ingredients, but I did make a version of the sauce from this recipe .

I made sure to squeeze most of the liquid out of the veggies, and that definitely helped during the frying process. For the sauce, I made a 1/4 recipe m because 1 cup of mayo is a lot!! I also used up some green garlic that I had.

I really liked how it all turned out, but the rest of my family disagreed. At first Leela was enthusiastic, but said she didn't like it after one bite. Then I made the mistake of making her try the sauce. It was a mistake because raw garlic to her I spicy, so she took the bite and promptly spit it out.

Oh well, more for me! This was eaten with pizza for the others and a really good quiche made by a friend for me. Also we had salad- Leela will definitely eat salad with balsamic "dressing," girl loves her sweets!

Fritters
  • 2 kohlrabi
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne
  • ½ cup grapeseed or vegetable oil (enough for ¼-inch depth in a large skillet)
  • ½ avocado
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt
  • ½ lemon
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • Green onions (for garnish)
  1. Cut the leaves off the kohlrabi and peel the bulb. Peel 1 carrot. Shred the vegetables in a food processor, or by hand using a grater. Squeeze the shredded vegetables in a tea cloth (or with your hands) to remove moisture, then add to a medium bowl with 1 egg, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne. Mix to combine.
  2. Place ½ cup oil in a large skillet (enough for ¼-inch depth). Heat the oil over medium high heat, then place small patties of the fritter mixture into the oil. Fry on one side until browned, then fry on the other side. Remove and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
  3. In a small bowl, mix ½ avocado, ¼ cup plain yogurt, juice from ½ lemon, and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt to make the avocado cream (or blend the ingredients together in a food processor).
  4. Serve fritters with avocado cream and sliced green onions.
Dipping sauce 
20garlic cloves, peeled (about 2 heads)
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup chives, minced
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees, put garlic cloves in a small baking dish and add enough olive oil to cover. Roast until garlic is soft and golden, about 30 minutes. Cool.
  2. Drain garlic, reserving oil. Transfer to a food processor, add 1 tablespoon reserved oil and the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper and purée. Transfer to a bowl and stir in chives. Use remaining oil for another purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment