Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Massaged Kale Salad

I feel like this was a "thing" last year. I tried making one last year, but didn't succeed. Yesterday was a half success. I was kinda going on memory and only looked up a recipe after I was halfway in. Aarti's recipe from Food Network is the general framework which I followed, though my method and ingredients varied a bit.

I started with a bit less than a pound of kale from the garden. I stripped the leaves from the stems and ripped up the large pieces into a bowl.
I poured about 3 swirls of olive oil and probably 1/2 teaspoon of salt - both of which was too much. I'd probably do one swirl, a couple pinches of salt, and probably the lemon juice that the recipe called for.
Then I massaged the heck out of it until it was softer, wilty, and bright green!
This was the point in which I thought I should find a recipe. So based on the one above and what I had already put in, I just added the juice of one lemon, some freshly ground pepper, diced up about 5 or 6 dried figs to try to offset the saltiness, and a handful of sunflower seeds.
I mixed everything thoroughly and served it up.
I thought it was pretty good, a little salty, but good - the kale wasn't tough and I liked the sweetness of the figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment