Friday, February 19, 2016

Breakfast for Dinner - "Sausage" Strata

In an effort to use up things we have on hand (and not let them go bad!). I tried my hand at a strata using Rachel Ray's Spinach and Sausage Strata as the guide - sort of. The things I used up - green pepper, cheese from fondue, stale bread cubes! I prepared everything in the morning as Leela ate breakfast - not ideal, but we were only a few minutes late dropping off at daycare. I meant to prepare everything the night before when Leela was in bed, but I got into a cleaning groove and got side tracked - good way to get side tracked in my opinion though.
On to my process...
I knew Ebon wouldn't like the spinach, and we didn't have any, so I skipped it. I sauteed the onions, garlic and green peppers and veggie sausage (Gimme Lean). Mixed up the eggs (I used 10 because I had a smaller dish and probably not quite enough bread, per the recipe), milk and S&P. Because I was going from memory (not very good most of the time), I forgot to add the mustard.
I assembled everything in 2 layers - bread, sausage mix, cheese (both leftover fondue cheese and parm), bread again, fondue cheese again, and sausage again. I left the last layer of Parmesan cheese off to be added just prior to baking. I wrapped it in foil and put in the fridge for about 10 hours while I toiled away at work :)
When I got home, I turned on the oven, took off the foil from the dish, added the Parmesan cheese and put it in the oven to warm up gradually (didn't have the 30 min to bring to room temp as the recipe states). I started the 1 hour cook time when the oven came up to temp.

Overall, I was happy with how it turned out, and the leftovers were pretty good too. I'd love to try this again to include the mustard to see what I'm missing. This seems like it could be a very versatile dish - mushrooms, herbs, different types of cheese, different sausages...many possible filling options and combinations, so I'll keep it in my wheelhouse when trying to figure out what to do with all the stale bread we have from time to time! Also good as a brunch option.

Things to change for next time - follow the recipe - ie use an oiled dish for baking, and don't forget the mustard. Try different fillings too!

No comments:

Post a Comment