Sunday, December 10, 2023

Date and nut bars

Currently trying to avoid wheat and/or gluten, but I'm craving sweet stuff.  I'm also trying to eat through the pantry so we don't have so much stuff in the cabinets. 

Enter date and nut protein bars.  I couldn't find a great recipe that included everything I wanted to use  so I made up my own.

Ingredients 

45 pitted medjool dates, roughly chopped

Boiling water,  enough to cover the dates 

2 Cups nuts, toasted.  I used mostly almonds and some walnuts. 

1 cup flaxseed and chia seeds

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut  

1/2 cup dried apples torn or cut in small pieces 

1 tsp ground Cinnamon 

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1. In a small bowl pour the hot water over the chopped dates and let it sit while you move to the next step. 

2. In a food processor,  chop the nuts.  Some medium pieces are OK,  but generally less than 1/4" cubes. Pour into a large bowl.

3. I like to grind the flax seeds in a coffee/seed/spice grinder. Pour into the bowl of chopped nuts. 

4. Put the dates in the food processor to chop into a paste. Work in batches if needed. Pour into the nut bowl. 

5. Add remaining ingredients mix thoroughly.

6. Press into a greased 9x13 pan with parchment paper. 

7. Refrigerate for a few hours.

8. Cut and store.


No comments:

Post a Comment