Thursday, December 31, 2015

Soup for a cold day

I felt like having soup and had limited things on hand to make it with. I ended up with a comforting soup of onions and garlic, potatoes, rice cake balls, and some egg to add a bit of protein.
I wished I had had some green onions, as it turned out pretty white/yellow, and it would have balanced out the color and flavor, but I've just got to go with what I've got.


  1. Remove the rice cake balls from package and set to soak in enough water to cover them.
  2. Saute' 1/2-1 diced onion and 3 chopped garlic cloves in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
  3. Add in two potatoes, peeled and 1/2" diced, and simmer under a lid until the potatoes are almost done.
  4. Add 8 cups of water and appropriate amount of stock powder (6-8 Tbsp in my case for a vegetarian stock powder Ebon bought). Bring to a boil.
  5. Drain the rice cake balls and add to the boiling soup. Reduce heat to med/med high. Cook until the rice cakes are tender.
  6. Add some pepper to taste.
  7. Beat two eggs and slowly pour into the soup.
  8. If you have them, I would add 1-2 chopped green onions at this point.
I thought it turned out quite yummy! I loved the rice cake balls. I'll have to try to find them again. I'm pretty sure I got them at the Reliable Market. I only got them because they were a smaller package than the flat rice cakes I normally get.

No comments:

Post a Comment