Friday, January 11, 2013

Stuffed Peppers


I went to the grocery store today in search of fresh fruits and veggies. I walked away with 4 peppers that were on the "quick sale" rack. While driving home, I realized I could make a stuffed pepper for dinner.

two servings of rice ~3-4cups cooked?
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn (I used frozen)
1/2 of 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
~2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (I probably could have put more in)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder (propbably could have used fresh)
2 green onions
Combine together all ingredients until mixed.
Cut the tops off 4 peppers, I used yellow in this case.
I chopped up the good parts from the "top" and added them into the rice mixture.
I put a large pinch of shredded cheddar cheese at the bottom of the pepper, then added a spoonful of rice mixture, a little more cheese and then filled up the pepper with the rice mix. Repeat for all 4 peppers.
Place all 4 peppers on a cookie sheet and bake at 375deg F for 30-40 min or until the peppers are soft.
sprinkle a little more cheese on top and put under the broiler on low and broil until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment