Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lasagna!

So, I've mentioned the Lasagna I make before. Last night it was on the menu - freshly made, no leftovers. I started making the recipe from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin when I first got the cookbook. I liked that the noodles didn't need to be boiled/pre-cooked, because, you know, I'm lazy!

Tonight's version had Trader Joe's soy chorizo in the sauce:
32oz can of crushed tomatoes (Cento Brand)
1/2 cup of red wine - I didn't measure it, but poured in the last of a bottle, so it was probably closer to 3/4 cup - I love my food with alcohol!
1-1/2 cup water
package of Trader Joe's soy chorizo
1 teaspoon oregano
3 cloves of garlic chopped
I also chopped up all of the ripened tomatoes that I had (from clearing out all the green tomatoes in the garden).

to prepare the ricotta mixture, mix together:
2 cups ricotta (I used whole milk this time, but usually I use skim/low fat)
2 eggs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
When my mom made lasagna growing up, she used cottage cheese instead of ricotta. I liked it but I've since converted to the more traditional. I've also discovered that I really like the results when I use Trader Joe's lasagna noodles. I didn't have them for this one, and I can tell the difference. This particular recipe uses about 16 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese and I put Ebon to work shredding a block that we got at the market - all the shredded mozzarella cheese was sold out - womp womp.

Now the layering begins:
Pour enough sauce in a 9"x13" casserole dish to cover the bottom, add first layer of noodles. Spread on ricotta mixture on the noodles, then add more sauce to cover the layer. Add cheese.
Noodles
ricotta
sauce
mozzarella cheese
Noodles
ricotta
sauce
mozzarella cheese
Noodle
Sauce


Cover the pan with aluminum foil and put into a pre-heated 350degF oven for about 50-60 minutes, then cook uncovered for about 10-15 minutes more. Here's where I put the last layer of cheese on it because I've found if I add it before putting the foil on, the cheese just gets stuck to the foil - no fun! So bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
This is what happens when you don't let it sit after taking it out of the oven (a lot of oozing of sauce going on at the left):



So be patient and let it sit for another 10 minutes or so. You'll thank me later.

What's your favorite lasagna recipe? Are you a cottage cheese or ricotta cheese devotee?

No comments:

Post a Comment