Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Monday Night Football and Pizza


I had the day off for the Columbus day holiday, so I ended up pursuing quite a bit of time in the kitchen. After leftovers on Sunday, we decided on pizza for Monday dinner. I enjoy making pizza, but the crust takes just enough time that I don't usually make it after work during the week.
I can't seem to find the right pizza crust recipe this one is OK, but maybe is a bit oily and it doesn't get enough air.

1 cup warm water (~100degF)
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup oil
3 cups+ AP flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
Combine yeast and water until yeast dissolves, add in the oil and slowly add in the flour and salt until combined. The dough should form a ball that's not too sticky. Leave it out at room temperature for at least 4 hours for the gluten to develop.

Pizza sauce
3 cloves garlic
~2 Tablespoons olive oil
saute garlic until just before browning
Add 28 oz can of pureed tomatoes and 1/2 can of tomato paste
Add herbs ~1 teaspoon oregano and a small handful of dried basil crushed

Pizza toppings
Pizza 1
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 onion

Pizza 2
some onion
heirloom tomatoes sliced thinly
Trader Joes Soy Italian "sausage"

Spray a cookie sheet with oil, sprinkle with corn meal and press/spread 1/2 the dough on the cookie sheet. Spread enough sauce on the pizza to cover the crust, add toppings and add mozzarella cheese.
I only bought an 8oz bag of mozzarella cheese, so the first pizza got all mozzarella  but I ran out on the second, so the soysage pizza also got some Parmesan and shredded fontina cheese that I had on hand.
Bake at 450degF for about 15-20 min or until the cheese starts to get bubbly and brown.

They turned out pretty good, but I need to revise the crust recipe a bit and make sure I get enough cheese. The fontina cheese was an excellent substitute.


No comments:

Post a Comment